Components of a Complete Degree Application
Degree-seeking applicants must submit all pieces of the application to be considered for admission. Only complete applications will be reviewed. These required items are:
- Completed and Signed Online Application Form
- $65 Non-Refundable Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Academic Transcript(s): For current requirements regarding transcript submission, visit the Office of Admission website at tc.edu/apply. Students who completed or are completing degrees outside of the United States will be required to submit an official course-by-course evaluation. Please see the “International Students” section for further detail.
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants are required to submit at least two letters of recommendation. Some programs require a third recommendation or may include specific elements to address. For program-specific requirements, please visit tc.edu/programs and search for your program.
- Standardized Tests: Standardized tests are required by some, but not all, Teachers College degree programs. The testing center must report official scores directly to the Office of Admission by the application deadline. Expired scores will not be accepted. For tests administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the assigned institution code for Teachers College is 2905. For more information, visit tc.columbia.edu/admissions/admission/instructions/degree-programs.
- English Proficiency Tests: All applicants who received a baccalaureate degree from an institution where English is not the sole official language of instruction must take an English proficiency exam. Teachers College accepts official results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. An English proficiency exam is required regardless of where the applicant received a graduate degree (if any). For more information and score requirements, visit tc.columbia.edu/admissions/admission/international-students.
- Supplemental Application Requirements: Some programs require additional application materials. For more information, visit tc.edu/programs.
International applicants must hold, or be in the process of obtaining, the equivalent of a 120-credit U.S. baccalaureate degree to be eligible for admission to Teachers College.
- Course-by-Course Evaluation: Applicants who have completed, or are completing, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees at institutions outside of the United States are required to submit a course-by-course translation and evaluation. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide the necessary paperwork and payment to an approved evaluation service, and to request that an official copy of the report be sent to the Teachers College Office of Admission. The completed evaluation must be received by the admission deadline. Evaluations will be reviewed by Teachers College administrators. The determination of degree equivalency to U.S. degrees is at the discretion of Teachers College. For more information and a list of approved evaluation agencies, visit tc.columbia.edu/admissions/admission/international-students.
- Certified Translations: For students who are not required to submit a course-by-course evaluation because they did not or will not complete degrees abroad, transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- English Proficiency: Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from a college or university where English is not the sole official language of instruction must take an exam to establish English language proficiency. Refer to the “English Proficiency Tests” section above for more information.
- Visa Information: Documents necessary to obtain a student visa (I-20 or DS-2019) should be sent to the Office of International Students and Scholars only after an applicant has been officially admitted to Teachers College. Applicants should not submit bank statements or other proof of funds with application materials.