Position Control & Personnel Actions

Position Control & Personnel Actions

The Banner Position Control system is a business process managed by the Office of Budget and Planning. It is the process for tracking and maintaining personnel and funding on the position level for all Full-Time Faculty and Instructional Staff, Full-Time Professional Staff, and all Union Staff.

The Banner Position Control features provides numerous benefits:

  • Accurately report on filled and vacant positions across the College
  • Timely responses to requests to create, modify, fill, and close positions
  • Track, document, and audit the process to create, modify or fill positions
  • Salaries of active positions are encumbered
  • Salary savings from vacancies are displayed
  • Overcommitted salary lines are displayed



Personnel actions for brand new hires (no employment records) or for former employees with terminated employment records at the College should go through PageUp, TC’s Applicant Tracking System.

Job and Position Descriptions

If there is a need to create a new position in the College or if a Job/Position Description does not exist for the position to be hired on, create a new Job/Position Description in PageUp. The Office of Budget and Planning reviews all new Job/Position Descriptions to:

  1. Ensure funding is in place and is budgeted on the right index and account, as necessary
  2. Ensure there is Vice President approval for:
    1. All new Permanent Full-Time positions – addition to headcount
    2. Replacement of an existing position
    3. Title Update
    4. Salary Update

When filling out a Job/Position Description, the below information is needed and must be included:

  1. Reason for Job/Position Description
  2. Position Number and Name of Incumbent Being Replaced
    • If a position is being eliminated and replaced by a new position, enter the position number that should be eliminated.
  3. The appointment end dates for positions that are temporarily funded must have an end date of 08/31 of the current fiscal year. This includes all positions on non-operating budgets. If the end date will be prior to 08/31, please specify the duration.
  4.  Justification for Job/Position

  5. Funding information section


If a Job/Position Description exists for the position being hired, create a Requisition from that Job/Position Description. The Office of Budget and Planning reviews all Requisitions to:

  1. Ensure funding is in place and is budgeted on the right index and account
  2. Ensure the position number is correct
  3. For hiring on Full-Time positions on the operating budget, ensure Cabinet approval is obtained. (New, additions to headcount will be added to the index budget after it has been approved for recruiting by Cabinet)

When filling out a requisition, the below information is needed and must be included:

  1. The appointment end date: 
    • If the position is temporarily funded for the current fiscal year, the end date should be 08/31 of the current fiscal year. This includes all positions on non-operating budgets.
    • If the position is permanently funded, the end date should be 08/31/2049.
  2. For pooled position with multiple hires, the Requested Salary should indicate the total amount for all hires.

Click here to view the PageUp/Recruitment Process Workflow.



Personnel actions for active employees should be submitted via ePAF or PAF:


Please refer to this detailed list of ePAF transactions available.



All other transactions should be submitted with a PAF form via Google Drive. Please refer to the instructional documentation for submitting PAFs. Transactions include, but are not limited to:

  • Expense reimbursements past 90 days (these require a corresponding budget transfer)
  • Correcting or adjusting an employee’s start date
  • Changing a rehire date due to I-9 non-compliance
  • Semester based PAFs that combine Summer A/B payments
  • Transactions for employee classes that are not in scope for any ePAF
    • All transactions for executive staff
    • Additional jobs or salary/rate changes for union staff
    • Changing e-class from 20 to 30 (Professor Emeritus) 
  • 707 night shift differential (adding/removing)
  • Union employees bonus vacation payout

Annual Increase

The College funds annual salary increases that have been approved by the Board of Trustees for Faculty, Full-Time Instructional and Professional Staff whose salaries are charged to the operating budget. Part-time positions are not eligible for the annual salary increase. 

Annual salary increase requests for Full Time Faculty and Full Time Professional Staff, whose salaries are charged to non-operating budgets, should be submitted via a Salary or Rate Update, MODJB3 ePAF or a Salary Adjustment – Faculty/FT Lecturer, MODJB1 ePAF after ensuring the budget is in place.


All Other Salary Changes and Promotions

All other salary increases and promotions on the operating budget need to be approved by Cabinet before being approved by the Office of the Budget and Planning.

For all Full Time Professional salary increases and new hires charged to operating indices, the College will provide the necessary funding within the position’s salary range, as determined by Human Resources. If the increase is above the range, the department will be responsible for funding the additional salary and fringe by submitting a budget transfer to the Office of Budget and Planning.

The funding for salary increases and related fringe may be established through one of the following methods:

  • A transfer of funds from another budget line within the unit, which will result in the permanent reduction of that budget line; or 
  • A request for funding from the area’s Vice President
  • Please note that the salary from a vacant position cannot be used to fund another position’s increase


Additional Job or Compensation

  • For any other additional payments to a current employee, please check Banner to ensure there is sufficient budget in the appropriate index and account.
  • If there is not sufficient budget, a Budget Transfer is required in conjunction with the PAF/ePAF.
  • TC employees and students are not permitted to receive honoraria payments. Only non-employees can receive honoraria and must be processed through Unimarket using account 7622

Salary savings derived from employee departures and unfilled positions are monitored and managed by the Office of Budget and Planning.

Fringe savings may not be allocated to other budget lines under any circumstances.

Departments may request salary savings be transferred to cover the costs of backfilling a vacant position (or duties thereof). The amount of salary savings available for use is determined by the Office of the Provost for instructional positions and the Office of Budget and Planning for non-instructional positions.

Salary savings may differ from what appears in Banner. Inquire with the Office of Budget and Planning for details.

The summer budget is separate from the academic year and covers only summer instructional costs (61x9 accounts). 

The Office of Budget and Planning receives allocation information from the Office of the Provost including, course, instructor, index, account, and amount before the summer semester begins and prior to the approval of PAFs or ePAFs. This allocation is loaded into Banner, making the funds available to the departments. 

Funding for any courses and instructors that were not part of the Office of the Provost’s allocation must be submitted through a Budget Transfer in conjunction with the submission of the PAF or ePAF.

Any unspent funds allocated to departments for summer instructional salaries cannot be redistributed without approval of the Office of the Provost.

The purpose of the Revision of Labor Distribution Form is to request a revision to a salary distribution already processed. This form is required when the allocation of salary paid to an employee must be transferred from a given budget line to another.

Any request to update future salary distributions should be submitted via a Labor Distribution Change (MODJB2) ePAF.

Changes to more than one appointment should be filled out on separate forms.

Back to skip to quick links